Thursday 16 August 2012

sunday afternoon


I know that many people experience this same situation, but one of the things I had to get used to when we moved up here to the country, was that in my husband's new job, he works all weekend, almost every weekend. I was used to a situation where each of us worked for part of the weekend, but we always had at least some time together as a family. I struggled at first with this, for a number of reasons. Firstly, my family had just increased from 2 to 3 children, one of whom was a brand new baby. Secondly, we were in a new environment, where all the usual city entertainments to fall back on in yucky weather, like shopping malls and indoor play centres, were no longer available. Thirdly, I was new to town and so needed to make new friends for catching up with, which takes time of course. Now, a year and a half later, I have adopted a routine, which I stick to most weekends. I find it really helps me to have a plan in place and to accept that the weekends are actually the busiest days of my week because I have all three children at home. On Saturday mornings I take everyone in to town and we have morning tea at our favourite cafe, where we enjoy a sweet treat and also practise using our best manners when eating out! Then we stock up on food from the supermarket for the rest of the weekend. After that we either pick up a town friend for each of the bigger boys to take home for a play or perhaps go to Mansfield's indoor swimming pool. On Sunday morning we have playgroup or go for a bushwalk with the other parents and children who live around us. Whenever the weather permits, the boys are encouraged to be outside, where they always manage to think up an intricate make-believe game or go frog catching or some other simple childhood pastime. Again, I learned that I don't need to entertain them all the time. I need to give them the time and space to get bored and think of something they would like to play themselves.

By the time Sunday afternoon comes around, I feel that a little sit down with a cup of tea and some reading matter is well deserved! If the sun is shining and the day is warm enough, this is my favourite spot to sit.

I wanted one of these adirondack chairs for many years and last year finally got one for my birthday. It will be even more perfect when I have another one to match!

1 comment:

  1. And ohhh what a lovely chair it is! Have a fabulous extra special weekend X

    ReplyDelete