Thursday 23 August 2012

a comfy corner



I think it is probably rare that people feel totally happy with the way that every part of their house looks – it is usually a work in progress – you work on one little pocket at a time, as necessity and motivation dictate. I certainly have lots of pockets at my place that still need attention, but this is one little corner that I really love. It is actually almost the first thing that you see as you walk into the house, which is great as it does look inviting. But apart from looking pretty it is also a great place to sit or lie. It is a timber day bed that I inherited from my grandmother – very simple straight lines, built in the 70s. I replaced the old mattress with a new one and had it recovered in linen, the same as my other lounge chairs. With all the comfy cushions on the day bed, it is a fabulous place to curl up with a good book or a movie, lie down and take a quick powernap or snuggle up with the children to read stories. Teddy loves to pile the cushions up and then jump on top of them. Another thing I love, is that it holds so many lovely memories for me – I have been curling up on that day bed since I was a child when it was in my grandmother’s house – it has always held a special attraction for me. Now it belongs to me and always reminds me of my grandmother, whom I loved and respected very, very much.


2 comments:

  1. I have to say I was absolutely captivated by this day bed when I was sitting in your winged chair, you've done a great job restoring it and making it a cozy corner to snuggle. Your home is beautiful.

    I am enjoying your blog - you've wonderfully captured the beauty of the high country life :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa, thank you for your lovely comment - it's great to hear from you and to get your positive feedback. I'm really glad you are enjoying my blog, as I am yours. Please do visit again. It was lovely to get to know you better the other day. Jx

    ReplyDelete