Tuesday 21 August 2012

birthdays


flowers...
 I love birthdays - whether it be someone else's or mine - I just love them all! I see it as a prime opportunity for a celebration. I love my boys' birthdays, family members', friends', husband's - I always put a lot of effort into presents, cakes and parties. I basically just can't help myself. I had my 42nd birthday on the weekend. It was so much fun - it seemed to go on for days! Apart from the fact that I can't believe I've actually hit 'middle age', I think being in your 40s is a great time in your life. You've worked out who you are and what's important to you, yet you still feel relatively young and energetic. It brings a quiet confidence and contentedness. Once you've past the pressure time of actually turning 40, when you feel that you absolutely must do something along the lines of having a wild party or going on a special overseas trip, you can just relax and enjoy whatever happens on your birthday. This year my birthday got off to a great start, when my husband, at his romantic best, presented me with a beautiful bunch of flowers (he proudly told the story of how he had called the florist to request that only my favourite flowers in my favourite colours be included) and a cup of tea while still in bed. Then there were the phone calls and messages from friends and family all over the world. Our friends, the Robinsons, have the wonderful tradition on birthdays, where the whole family (6 of them) sings happy birthday and then each of them calls out "happy birthday Julie!" and then they have a chat. They really make you feel special with that phone call.
For the next few days, things continued in the same wonderful vein - birthday sponge cake, lovely pressies, a cafe breakfast, an afternoon of shopping (sans children), a facial (with babysitting included) and some beautiful heartwarming messages in cards. What more could a girl ask for?
Again, simple pleasures are what makes the world go around...


coffee with breakfast...

gorgeous nieces who love to take care of their little cousins...
 
sponge cake with strawberries and cream...





a few lovely pressies...
As I said, what more could a girl want...

No comments:

Post a Comment