Monday 10 September 2012

rhythm



Do you find that your weeks have a particular rhythm that you come to rely on to know what you should be doing and when? I always know that if I can manage Saturday, Sunday and Monday fairly efficiently then come Tuesday everything slows down a bit and I can catch my breath again. As I've already said, weekends with three boys and no husband are pretty busy and then I work on Sunday nights when he comes home to take over from me. Before I leave on Sunday night I need to make sure everything is ready for Monday - uniforms and clothes washed, folded and put away, cooking ingredients purchased for a cooking class I take as well as food and snacks for when I look after my little charge, Melody, on Mondays. While all that activity is lots of fun, Tuesday, when the only place I have to be is at the Mansfield Providore for a regular weekly morning coffee with a friend, seems like a little gift.



Yesterday, being Monday, I had Melody and Ben's friend Mattie, as well as Ben and Teddy with me and we set off for a walk with a friend and her two little ones. While the kids' pace meant it was not exactly great exercise for us, it was certainly far enough to tire them out and make them very hungry. Fruit had to be handed out just to give them enough energy to get back up the hill to home again. Much fun was had just playing in this big muddy puddle and in the mail box - it's wonderful to watch children find pleasure in such simple things.



Tuesday - a chance to regroup. I'm feeling very satisfied with myself right now as I have several loads of washing on the line drying. Hanging out washing on a sunny day is one of my favourite household tasks. Like collecting the wood, it's a chance to be outside in the fresh air while still completing a job from the list that needs doing. The bush around my house needs only the slightest bit of a breeze to be able to hear the beautiful sound of wind in the leaves and that brilliant blue sky is just stunning. The boys are always so happy to be playing outside too if I am nearby hanging out washing.



With the washing on the line, house tidy, lunch eaten and cleaned up, Teddy in bed, I'm enjoying a cup of tea and writing this post. After this I'm going to www.dandi.com.au to order some fabric for cushions that I hope will inject that spring feeling into my lounge room that I'm wanting at the moment. That's before school pick-up, dinner and off to work again tonight. Feeling very happy with all this - little rewards we create for ourselves help us get things done faster and make everything worthwhile...
Do you do this too?

5 comments:

  1. Yes, how lovely is it to be hanging washing in the spring sunshine! I feel like I've come out of hibernation after a wet and long winter as do the children. I had to stand on the front verandah last night and call out, "Come home for dinner!" because the children spent all day playing outside. Despite warm fires and the fun of snow I must confess to enjoying the rhythms of spring much, much more! Sue.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree Sue, that spring and summer are probably more enjoyable - especially where children are concerned! Jx

      Delete
  2. I've really enjoyed the rhythm of the weeks this year, but I start the busy patch with our Tuesday morning coffee! So funny that you're winding down as I'm winding up. They're such lucky kids to live in this environment. I'm going to check out dandi right now. Shopping online is definitely my little reward/quiet moment as I have a cuppa. Trying not to spend is the hard part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've found what I was looking for at Dandi. What did you think of it Cynthia? Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie!
    I'm taking a minute to have a little read....and maybe a little shop...! What have you chosen at Dandi? I just had a look at their tablecloths. I do love a pretty tablecloth! In fact tablecloths fluttering on a clothesline are one of my happy things - especially as they mean I've had people over for food.
    Thanks again for coming to see us. You made it a very special weekend! xxx

    ReplyDelete